Since 1st September 2003 there has been an additional part added
to the driving test which involves you being asked to describe
and also show your examiner how you would carry out a number of
safety checks on your vehicle. You will need to answer
two questions regarding the maintenance and operation of the
vehicle. The format is simple, one question involves you having
to DEMONSTRATE, and the other requires you to EXPLAIN. Below is
the list of possible questions you could be asked. Important key
1. Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine
oil level and tell me how you would check that the engine has
Identify the dipstick, describe check of oil level
against the minimum
2. Show me / explain how you would check that the power assisted
steering is working before starting a journey.
If the steering feels heavy,
the system may not
be working properly. Before starting a journey two simple checks
can be made. Gentle pressure on the steering wheel,
maintained while the engine is started, should result in a slight but noticeable movement as the system begins to operate.
3. Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine
coolant level and tell me how you would check that the engine
has the correct level.
Identify the high/low level
markings on header tank, and describe how to top up to correct level.
4. Show me how you would check the parking brake for excessive
Demonstrate by applying parking brake that when it is fully
applied it secures itself, and is not at the end of the working travel.
5. Identify where the windscreen washer reservoir is and tell me
how you would check the windscreen washer level.
Identify reservoir and explain how it is tested by operating the windscreen washers.
6. Show me how you would check that the horn is working (off
Check is carried out by using the horn control. (Centre of the
7. Open the bonnet, identify where the brake fluid reservoir is
and tell me how you would check that you have a safe level of
hydraulic brake fluid.
Identify reservoir, check level against the MAX/MIN markings.
8. Show me how you would check that the direction indicators are
Applying the hazard warning
switch (red triangle) and check functioning of all SIX indicator bulbs.
9. Tell me how you would check that the brake lights are working
on this car.
Operate brake pedal, make use of reflections
in windows, garage doors, etc., or ask someone
10. Tell me how you would check that the brakes are working
before starting a journey.
Brakes should not feel spongy or slack. Brakes should be tested as you set off. Vehicle should not pull to one side.
11. Show me how you would check that the headlights & tail
lights are working.
Operate switch (twist the end of the indicator switch), turn on ignition
(but not the engine), walk round vehicle.
12. Tell me where you would find the information for the
recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures
should be checked.
Manufacturer's guide. Use a reliable pressure gauge, check and adjust pressures when tyres are cold, don't forget spare tyre, remember to refit valve caps.
13. Tell me how you would check the tyres to ensure that they
have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is
safe to use on the road.
No cuts and bulges
on the sidewall of the tyre, 1.6mm
depth across the central ¾ of the breadth of the tyre and around the entire outer circumference.
14. Tell me how you make sure your head restraint is correctly
adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of a
The head restraint should be adjusted so the rigid part
of the head restraint is at least at eye level.
15. Show me how you would clean the windscreen using the
windscreen washer and wipers.
Turn on the ignition. Operate control to wash and wipe
windscreen by pulling the wiper switch towards you in most cars.
16. Show me how you would set the demister controls to clear all
the windows effectively, this should include both front and rear
Set all relevant controls including fan, temperature, air direction
and rear demister button
to clear windscreen and windows. Engine does not have to be started for this demonstration.
17. Tell me how you would know if there was a problem with your
anti lock braking system (ABS).
Yellow ABS Warning
light should illuminate if there is a fault with the
anti lock braking system.
18. Show me how you switch your headlight from dipped to main
beam and explain how you would know the main beam is on whilst
inside the car.
Operate switch (with ignition or engine on if necessary), check
with the BLUE
main beam warning light. (This is operated by pulling
the indicator switch.)
19. Show me how you would switch on the rear fog lights and
explain when you would use it. (No need to exit vehicle).
Turn on dipped headlights, ignition and then operate the switch
( twist forward twice
warning light is on. Explain use.